The National Watch & Clock Museum is currently in the process of procuring services for the conservation and restoration of an Ansonia Street Clock cast iron base, column, head, decorative castings, movement, dials and hands.
The project involves documenting and restoring an Ansonia Street Clock, its movement, two dials and two sets of hands.
The following work is needed to be performed:
1. Paint analysis of cast iron parts, including movement frame, to document changes in the appearance of the clock over time and to determine original colors.
2. Removal of existing paint, repair and stabilize components (movement and case) as needed including the repair of broken and poorly welded castings, banners and saddle. Restore movement components to original configuration
3. Recommend method for returning clock movement to original color as determined in step 1. Return clock to original color with Museum approved method.
4. Fabricate two dials as specified by the design provided by the Museum.
5. Fabricate two sets of hands as specified by the design provided by the Museum.
6. Fabrication of any parts deemed to be missing and needed for the operation of the clock.
7. Make recommendations for installation of clock mechanism so that the clock may operate and also be visible to the public.
8. Give a completed performance report when the project is complete, including photographs documenting starting point and all steps taken.
Interested firms are required to have been in the public clock and/or historic metals restoration business for at least 5 years and have restored similar objects before and should submit the following:
1. Understanding of the project
2. Firm and Individual Qualifications
a. Number of years firm has been in business
b. Qualifications and experience of principals and key personnel that are to be part of the project team
c. Firm's background and experience in this type of project.
d. The proposed project team's experience in preparation of this type of project
e. Indicate status of the projects listed in c and d above (completed)
f. List of subcontractors, if any, to be used.
3. Capacity to perform the work
a. Size and availability of staff
b. Projects in progress
c. Timeline for completion of this project with completion date.
d. Location(s) where work will be done and methods for transporting and insuring.
a. References of this type of project within the past 10 years. Include contact names, addresses and phone numbers.
a. Documentation of firm's Professional Liability Insurance Policy, Workers Compensation Insurance.
a. Provide a detailed breakdown of costs for each area of professional services requested, labor, and including mileage and all costs that would be charged to the project.
All proposals and related information must be received on or before May 18, 2014 at 10:30 a.m. at the following address:
or 717-684-8261, extension 236.