- Watch & Clock Bulletin
- Mart & Highlights
- NAWCC Books
- Other Resources
Call for Nominations
“It is a very serious and vitally important responsibility to be a member of the NAWCC Board of Directors or the NEC. This is your Association. You need to help lead it if you have the talent and commitment to respond to that challenge. Please self-nominate, using the form below.”
This is a call for nominations for NAWCC’s elected positions to the Board of Directors and the Nominating and Elections Committee (NEC) to be filled in the spring of 2015.
Four (4) elected director positions and one (1) elected NEC position will be filled. All are four-year terms.
Requirements for service are described below. All candidates will be interviewed by the current NEC to confirm their eligibility under these requirements.
Candidates for election may be nominated in several ways. Interested parties may nominate themselves (self-nominate); they may be nominated by another member; and they may be nominated by NEC. Nomination by petition also is possible, and this method requires 250 member signatures with valid membership numbers.
The Bylaws specifiy there must be at least two but not more than five nominated candidates placed on the ballot for each open position. If a total of more than five Board nominations are received for each open position, the list will be screened and reduced to five by an NEC review of qualifications. All candidates nominated by petition will be placed on the ballot.
The election ballot will be placed in the January/February 2013 Watch & Clock Bulletin, to begin the three-month voting period. All ballots must be received no later than midnight April 1, 2013.
A similar call for nominations to fill appointed Director positions will appear in the November/December 2012 Watch & Clock Bulletin. The Board will appoint two (2) Directors from this second group of nominees. The same nomination form will be used, and it may be completed now, if you wish. The petition option may not be used for appointment nominees.
If you would like to discuss your candidacy with a member of the current NEC, please contact one of us:
• Member in good standing and not employed by NAWCC.
• No felony convictions or Board sanctions relating to ethics violations
.• Understanding that a director position may include committee and officer duties.
• Agreement to interview by the NEC to verify eligibility and confirm goals consistent with the mission of NAWCC.
• Agreement to the Board Code of Ethical Conduct. It may be viewed on the NAWCC website.
• Knowledge and agreement to common law and statutory fiduciary responsibilities of nonprofit Board members.
• Availability of time to take part in Board discussions via email, and monthly electronic business meetings.
• Interest and desire to take part in developing and monitoring strategic plans and objectives.
• Willingness to help write guidance documents for committees.
• Development of a productive relationship with the Executive Director and contribution to annual performance reviews.
• Agreement to special training in nonprofit corporation board responsibilities, if deemed necessary.
• Willingness to establish and monitor fiscal policies and raise funds through appeal letters or by seeking donations.
• At least ten days away from home annually, to attend two physical Board meetings and serve as a national representative for regional meetings (travel and lodging expenses reimbursed).
• Capability to use computers with Microsoft Office or compatible software, with Internet access and email.
• Former members of the Board, Council, or Museum Trustees may serve if at least one term has passed since last service.
Eligibility Requirements for Candidatesfor the NEC Position
• Must have previous service on the Board, the former Council, or as a former Museum Trustee.
• Election or appointment to the Board will not be possible during an NEC term.
• Computer and email capability.
• Desire to actively seek out and evaluate potential candidates for elected and appointed positions.
It is a very serious and vitally important responsibility to be a member of the NAWCC Board of Directors or the NEC. This is your Association. Your help is needed to lead it if you have the talent and commitment to respond to that challenge.
Respectfully, The Nominating and Elections Committee