Triple Decker Shelf Clock, c. 1842
J. C. Brown and Chauncey Pomeroy continued the business of the bankrupt Forestville Manufacturing Company from 1841 to 1843 with the financial backing of E. N. Welch. This is one of a few huge mahogany veneered Empire cased clocks manufactured during that period.
The eight-day brass movement in this clock was probably designed for the Forestville firm by Pomeroy about 1830. It has plates blanked from sheet brass, lantern pinions and a twenty-hour count wheel. This movement, with a few alterations, was manufactured by J. C. Brown and his successor, E. N. Welch, until 1893.
The large Empire cornice top case has interesting exaggerated proportions.
Donated by Robert J. Shaull, FNAWCC #9198
October 21, 2005
Copyright © 2005 National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors