Pillar and Scroll Shelf Clock, c. 1820
The Pillar and Scroll shelf clock using a mass produced wooden movement was first designed by Eli Terry circa 1812-1815. Seth Thomas was able to sell the Terry designed Pillar and Scroll clocks and soon started making his own but with a variation to the wooden movement. This clock uses what is known as "off center" escapement. Notice the gilded "window" in the reverse painted glass tablet of the door. This is an area of the glass left exposed in order to view the pendulum. Rather than being centered it is positioned to the right or "off-center" because the pendulum and verge are placed toward the right side of the movement. The clock is weight driven and will run for 30 hours.
Donated by James Gibbs, NAWCC Member #79
October 21, 2005
Copyright © 2005 National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors