Precision Clock, c. 1929
The Hamilton Watch Company of Lancaster, Pennsylvania utilized this high-grade precision clock to adjust all watches and to generate constant frequency alternating current for time microscopes. Housed in a sealed vault in the lobby of the factory building, the clock was mounted on a 27,000 pound insulated foundation so it would not be disturbed by ground vibrations. Constant temperature was maintained by an electronic control mechanism and constant pressure was maintained by the air tight "tank" case. every aspect of the clock was designed to maintain precise accuracy. under proper conditions, a mean daily variation of one hundredth (.01) to three hundredth (.03) of a second was guaranteed by Riefler.
The clock, which is powered by an electric mechanism, utilizes the Riefler free escapement. The impulse is delivered to the pendulum via the suspension spring, which helped "free" the pendulum from disturbance by the escapement. Two escape wheels are used - one for locking and one for impulse.
Donated by Hamilton Technology, Inc
October 25, 2005
Copyright © 2005 National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors